EANM’11 – CTE Session V
October 18, 2011, 14:30 – 16:00
Management and Leadership
Moderators: T. Eriksen (Oslo)
|P. Hogg (Manchester):
The Role of Leadership in Nuclear Medicine
|S. Dennan (Dublin):
Successful Change Management in Nuclear Medicine
Upon completion of this session the attendee will be able to:
- Compare the functions of management and leadership.
- Identify the characteristics of good leaders.
- Assess the benefits of different leadership styles in Nuclear Medicine.
- Describe how people can be motivated.
- Discuss the role of staff empowerment and how this can be achieved.
- Define change management.
- Describe the characteristic reactions to change.
- Discuss how to build commitment and overcome resistance to change.
- Outline how to lead a change initiative in Nuclear Medicine.
This session is designed to provide an overview of leadership and managing change in the Nuclear Medicine setting. The first presentation provides an introduction to leadership. A comparison of the complementary processes of leadership and management will be presented. The qualities of a good leader and the impact of different leadership styles will be discussed. The second presentation will focus on how to lead change successfully in Nuclear Medicine. The Change Curve illustrating the typical phases in the reactions of individuals to change will be presented. The presentation will provide advice on how to build commitment for change and overcome resistance to change. Practical examples of successful change initiatives in Nuclear Medicine will be presented and discussed. The presentations will be followed by an open forum discussion about the benefits of good leadership and successful change management in Nuclear Medicine.
Leadership, Management, Motivation, Empowerment, Change Management